We started this Crowd Wise event with four small groups of roughly equal numbers. Working together we asked our participants to tackle the four key issues that we’d previously identified with our contributing engineers as follows:
- A: Burning Issue: We need to find alternatives to oil and gas because they’re dirty, wasteful, running out and costing us the earth. Alternatives include fuel cells, electrification, renewables and nuclear.
- B: Dont Waste It! All transport requires energy. Every time we use energy, we waste lots of it with catastrophic implications for us and our earth so we must use it as efficiently and effectively as we can.
- C: Make the best of what we’ve got: The UK transport infra-structure is our most expensive asset, but its capacity cannot meet peak demand; some parts are not fit for purpose so we must use and adapt it using less space and money to meet our needs and our planet’s.
- D: Two Feet and a Heartbeat: We can use our muscles to improve our health and well-being instead of so many short motorised journeys. With the will and means, we can enjoy many more feel good moments, save money and help our earth by ensuring cars are no longer people’s first choice.
First Vote Second Vote
- Group A: 75% 54%
- Group B: 63% ) Groups
- Group C: 35% ) Merged 72%
- Group D: 60% 54%
Before concluding the event, participants asked how we would use this information and other event outcomes. Perry Walker and I (Wendy Stern)
- Perry will produce a report for the RAE Ingenious Project which will address process and content issues including how to interpret the voting results;
- Over the next few weeks, I will call everyone who has given me their phone number for specific event feedback. Given the keen interest, I offered to organise and facilitate a follow-up meeting that would enable event participants to develop plans to take their concerns forward.
- Our contributing engineers have very kindly agreed to let me have a summary of the key points and issues they raised in their contribution which I will post on our website as soon as this information is available.