Busy 2-3 months developing new event ideas with commendations on achievements to date for inspiring public engagement work from Sheffield College and an Army Recruitment Services Officer.
At our December 2013 event alone, we engaged over 130 children, young people, teachers and adults from 3 – 75+! Our activities were extraordinarily well received and parents had difficulty in tearing away their offspring. Engineers and participants alike had great fun engaging with each other on the science of engineering in the most stunning setting.
Overall outcomes have exceeded our project expectations and targets met with ease within the first four events:
- 5 women engineers for the entire project achieved in the first four events 🙂
- Engineers from Arup, IBM, Machineworks (niche manufacturing software), NAMRC, University of Sheffield: Chemical; Leonardo Centre Tribology, Mechanical, Materials, Wandisco and Yorkshire Water.
- 300 participants including:
- c.160 children
- 60 adults – at least 30 from disadvantaged communities
- 2 groups of 35 autistic children and their support workers
- 35 passers-by from 3 – 75+
- Activities using kit that’s been tailored to our project needs have allowed us to deliver fun, exciting and engaging activities for children, young people, their parents and people in disadvantaged communities alike:
- Sports Engineering x 3 events: pop-up/science busking, 5-a-side tournament and project management;
- Electronic engineering pop-up and science busking events
- Commemorating 150th Anniversary of The Great Sheffield Flood,
- Participative workshop,
- Coaching and mentoring